Thursday 15 August 2013

Even Rocky had a montage

I think one of the last things you could say about Squirrel is that she is overly concerned about her appearance. This is not because she has flawless skin, perfect hair or something rather strange called a thigh gap - because she has none of these things. She has no idea how to do anything special with her hair other than straighten it, and can only just apply foundation to her skin, though to be honest, that needs work too. While I suppose it would be nice to know how to do these things, at the end of the day, I just don't care. (I do like buying nice dresses though, and have a fondness for Cue).

What I do care about is how my house and home wares look. In this area, I am totally vain. I started collecting home wares for a glory box well before I had turned 20. My Christmas and birthday presents were, on request, Country Road Mosaic towels, and Cashmere Bone China dinner sets. What a wanker, right? Luckily, I was blessed with infinite storage in the form of an unused water treatment plant. And while the passing away of my Nan in 2009 broke my (and my entire family's) heart, Meerkat and I were able to have some of her cookware as well. To say that I'm set up would be an understatement. When we move in, it's more likely than not that I will need to get rid of some things!!!

So while we wait for the kitchen, here are some other home improvements (planned and completed) and prospective purchases.


Here we go! Operation: chairs is complete! Table is nearly complete: I had a bit of a set back in the form of the garage being filled with other stuff! It's like people don't understand that a girl needs her shed. 


So we've gone from, I think, country charm, to shabby chic. I'm still after some cushions, and have my eye on some from Ikea next time I'm in Richmond. 

Some other cool plans we have in the pipeline - for our front door - a frosted glass panel with the number of our house (31) cut out of it, to go along side our front door. A website called frost&co is where we're getting this from and should set us back around $200 with delivery.



And not to forget the fridge! A bit of love from sticky gram - $14.99 for a sheet of 9 magnets from Squirrels instagram account! 





And now let't step the prospective buying up a notch : into the realms of 'you're never going to be able to bloody afford it'. Below is the most beautiful chair in the world, the Mies van de Rohe Barcelona chair. I know what you're thinking. It's perfect. It's stunning. Where can I get one? When was it designed, it looks so contemporary and modern. And I can answer you - 1929!!!! 19 mother effing 29. Can you believe that? The man was a genius. Now typically when you see these for sale they're leather, either white or black. Now, given our room is pretty dark, black is no good. And given my propensity to wear denim, um, all of the time, white is no good either. So thanks to clickon furniture, you can get them in fabric! I have yet to decide which of the 20 odd colors I want but it's going to set me back $759. 


Country Road are absolutely shitting me at the moment. Not only is their styling clean, minimalistic and reminiscent of Scandinavian design, they have also added pops of colour and geometric styling to their range. To make matters worse I liked them on Facebook and am now tortured by their beautiful wares every other day. What ass holes. The geometric quilt is $279 (ouch) and the green quilt cover is $199.





Lastly, we need to follow up from a previous story. You may remember when Squirrel and Meerkat painted moss on the wall in the shape of a squirrel and the word puffin? There are two follow up points.

1. It hasn't grown. Even a little bit.

2. Blending up the mixture broke my blender. Well, that't not strictly true. About 2 weeks later, I went to use the blender. It didn't work. We played around a bit, and then the Badger had a look, and pronounced a verdict "it's stuffed". About ten minutes later, the Meerkat skulked downstairs (she can skulk when skulking is required (hey, hey?)) and said:

Meerkat : "Is the blender not working?"
Squirrel : "Nah, Badger says it's stuffed"
Meerkat : "I think I might know something about that"
Squirrel : "..."
Meerkat : "When I was blending the moss the other day... I think there was a rock in there"
Squirrel : "...a rock? You tried to blend a rock? With my blender?"
Meerkat : "...yeah"
Squirrel : *closes laptop, slowly get's up, and strangles Meerkat*


And there you have it. The sad and true tale of the moss wall. And the tragic early death of the Meerkat.

No comments:

Post a Comment